Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thank goodness for Scottsdale PD

Jackson decided to have a little adventure on Sunday night. All three of the boys were outside playing and I was inside cleaning up the desk when Payton ran in and told me Jackson had run away. I wasn't too worried. He'd only been out there for 4-5 minutes, so he couldn't have gone far. I put my shoes on and went outside. Payton told me which direction he had gone, and I started out that way. After a couple minutes, I still couldn't find him. I was starting to get nervous and went straight to the pool that was closest to us. Both pools are gated, but it's not uncommon for the gates to be propped open. Luckily, he wasn't there and all the gates were shut. But still no Jackson. So I put Payton and Logan in the car and drove around the complex. It felt like at least 15 minutes had gone by. When I came back around to our apartment, I knew I needed to call for help. The 911 operator asked me when I had seen him last and that was around 5:30pm. "So that was about 7 minutes ago?" she asked. It had only been 7 minutes?! She started asking me whether I had family who might "pick him up" and she asked where dad was. I didn't realize at the time that she was trying to pick out someone who may have taken him! She told me police were beginning to arrive and block off all the exits to the complex. They would search any vehicle leaving the complex. Then she had more officers checking the pools. By this point, I wasn't doing so hot. I had asked several neighbors who were coming home whether or not they had seen him, and no one had. Two officers who finally walked up to our apartment asked me a few questions and began to search our apartment for him. Another officer took the picture I had gotten out for them and used his phone to take a picture of it. 30 minutes had passed and I finally had a minute to call Moose. When he answered, all I could say was, "You need to come home." I no sooner got that out of my mouth when two men were walking up with Jackson in their arms. I hung up on Moose and ran to him. He was crying and I was crying. One of the guys said he had made it to the other side of the complex and a couple of girls had found him. I thanked them and went into the apartment to tell the officers who where still searching for him inside that he was found. The officers asked who found him and I told them about the two men who had brought him to me. By the time we got back outside, both men were gone. I could think the worst about why it was two men who returned him and why the officers hadn't seen him, but I choose to think they were my neighbors who were pitching in to help me find my little boy. So thank you to them and to all the Scottsdale police officers who responded so quickly.

1 comment:

Leah said...

OMG!!! I can't believe I just read this on your blog. What a terrifying moment. Praise to God that He sent His angels to keep Jackson safe.