Monday, February 16, 2009

Baby here probably tomorrow

After talking with my doctor and the neonatologist, everyone is in agreement that it is best for me and the baby to start inducing. The neonatologist said the difference between a 34 week old and 35 week old baby is maybe a few extra days in the hospital. Either way the baby will be in the NICU with possible breathing problems and feeding problems, but if we wait, we will be risking infection. An infection would make my delivery an emergency and possibly leave the baby with long term developmental problems. So, they are going to let me eat dinner and start my pitocin within two hours or so. They have no idea how long my induction will take, but we may know more once my doctor checks to see if I've dialated any. They didn't want to introduce an infection, so I have not been checked yet. Good news is that the steroids have had enough time to have had effect, so his breathing problems should be minimal. At worst, they would need to put a tube down his nose but he may just need oxygen. I am bummed that he will have to stay in the NICU and won't be able to breastfeed in the beginning, but as soon as I have my milk in, I can breastfeed. Babies this young need as much nurishment as they can get in the beginning so they stay hydrated and gain weight. Well, we will let you all know as soon as we've made some progress...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep me updated guys. I get bored at work...call me 602.664.7516 or text. I want to know about my new little roommate!